1. What did you do in 2016 that you’d never done before?
Baked cookies at a pizza restaurant. Threw up on the side of the road. Had a 26 hour long first date. Drove to Arizona. Learned how to snapchat.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don't know that I did make any new year's resolutions. In January, I started training pretty intensely. I think my unofficial new year's resolution was to lose weight. If that's the case, then I succeeded. I lost 20 lbs. between January and April.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Two people! Kelly and Stephanie.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
I am always thankful when the answer to this is no.
5. What countries did you visit?
None. Hoping for a Southeast Asia trip in 2017.
6. What would you like to have in 2017 that you lacked in 2016?
Steadier footing. Cheaper rent.
7. What dates from 2016 will remain etched upon your memory and why?
August 20-21: The 26 hour long first date.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I didn't die. This is always a big achievement, but even more so this year.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I was frivolous with my spending.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
I was on medical leave for a month, so I guess you could say that.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Michael's. He's the kindest, most understanding partner a girl in my position could ask for.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
14. Where did most of your money go?
Rent. Plane tickets to Arizona.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Disney World. Michael.
16. What song will always remind of you 2015?
"Reaper" - Sia
"Meant to Be" - Melissa Polinar
The entire soundtrack to Hamilton.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Happier.
b) thinner or fatter? Thinner.
c) richer or poorer? Poorer.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
I don't know. There's a lot about this year I don't remember. Saving I guess.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
20. Did you fall in love in 2016?
Yes. Wildly, so.
21. What was your favorite TV program?
Jane the Virgin! This show quickly became one of my favorite shows ever. Other notable favorites include: Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, Stranger Things, and Black Mirror.
22. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
You know, with everything that's happened politically this year, I want to hate. I want to be angry and hurtful and hateful. But I know that that doesn't solve anything. I am trying to be open-hearted. It's difficult, but I am trying.
23. What was the best book you read?
I read quite a few incredible books. I'm going to pick favorites based on genre. My favorite self-help book was Super You by Emily Gordon. My favorite non-fiction book was Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates. My favorite fiction book was Americanah by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie. My favorite YA fiction book was The Sun is Also A Star by Nicola Yoon.
Honorable mentions in self-help: Passionate Marriage by David Schnarch and Rising Strong by Brene Brown.
24. What was your greatest musical discovery?
HAMILTON. So, back in 2015, I went on a date with this guy whose name I can't even remember, but he mentioned Hamilton to me and suggested I look into it. I didn't. I finally listened to the soundtrack in early summer. And then it became the only thing I listened to for months. I am pretty good at rapping the vast majority of it.
25. What did you want and get?
Last year I wrote that I wanted an emotionally intimate relationship in 2016. I am grateful to say that I got it.
26. What did you want and not get?
More money. Still. Always.
27. What was your favorite film of this year?
I think Captain Fantastic takes the cake. I also enjoyed Arrival, The Edge of 17, and Rogue One.
28. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I ran in the morning and then had a long long happy hour with Maria and Maricris at Border Grill downtown. They gave me free alcohol and food.
29. How you would describe your personal fashion concept in 2015?
30. What kept you sane?
Therapy, meditation, crystal healing, friends, crying, running, Michael.
31. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
I kind of fell in love with the character of Michael Cordero in Jane the Virgin. He reminds me a lot of my own Michael.
32. Who did you miss?
I miss my 826LA family.
33. Who was the best new person you met?
I met Kirsti and Sweeney IRL this year! I've met some lovely folks in Tempe, thanks to my boyfriend.
34. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2016.
You must master your mind, lest it master you.
35. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
I'm still breathing
I'm still breathing